Style through the decades

What's more fun than playing dress up? I asked You on Instagram what would you rather see, my spring looks or style evolution. And to my surprise the majority voted for style evolution! I was beyond exited. I immediately started doing research on old magazines. I went  through my clothes and started to put together outfits. I ended up with the decades 50-90's. Of course a decade has LOADS of different styles (ex- 90's with grudge and hip hop), I picked the ones I'd probably wear. So here we go!
Oh the 50's... Milkshakes and bell dresses... I went with skinny pants, sandals and a scarf tied around the neck. The 50's had loads of different silhouettes. But the main thing was an extenuated waist with the classic hour glass figure. With style Icons such as Marilyn Monroe.
 The 60's hemlines rose up- miniskirts, the hourglass was shattered and forgotten. More square and legs. The 60's had different styles, but most of all was it the time of the Mod style. I tried to resemble a bit mod a bit Twiggy...
The feminine proper styles were out in the 70's. More go with the flow... Of course the 70's is the great era of disco but it was also a big movement for the Hippies. So I channelled my inner hippie self. Makeup and hair was natural. This look was mainly inspired by the great show That 70's show
Oh the 80's, the natural hair and hippies of the 70's were long gone. Now the philosophy is More is More. Bright neon colours, big poufy hair with scrunchies and let's not forget the bright pink lipstick.


And now to the 80's polar opposite, the 90's. Murry colours, black and neutrals. The 90's minimalism rules. I chose 90's grunge as my inspo. Of course the slip dress had to be layered with a white t-shirt. and let's not forget the Dr. Martins. I look like I'm ready to go to a angsty 90's concert.

I had so much fun doing this! It’s was interesting to see how the styles from decade to decade went from one “extreme” to the other. Like the 70’s and the 80’s. And you can see how it has influenced our current style. I often wonder what’s the “it” style people will think of when you say 2020?

Comments