Makeup through the decades 50s-90's

Last time it was style through the decades, and I had so much fun so why not do makeup also! I asked you on Instagram if you’d like me to do makeup and 100% of you said YES. And I was pumped! So I started my research on the different makeup styles. I looked at ad’s popstars and most of my inspo was from pop culture (mostly American). Just to clarify in the span of 10 years a lot of trends comes and goes, the looks I chose was really just based on popularity. I tried to create the most “iconic” looks. So let’s just dive in the different styles!!




First up the 50’s, femininity hourglass silhouette and polished makeup. Brows were arched and neat. The red lips were a staple, no nude lips here! And a winged liner is a must. Super glamourous and feminine.

The 60’s with the cut crease and big twiggy eyes. As I portrayed the mod style in the outfits I thought why not channel my inner twiggy cut crease look. But this look was sure not a Twiggy exclusive look. This particular makeup is inspired by a makeup ad. I also found loads of different versions on the look in many colours. The lips on the contrary from the 50’s was nude, subtle more focus on the eyes.  I felt so cute in the look. And I liked how my narrow almond eyes transformed into round big doll eyes.

 

For the 70’s I just HAD to tap into my inner disco diva! This look is inspired by the icon Agnetha Fältskog from the iconic band ABBA. Sure the 70’s was all about hippie folk style. But in disco it sure was the statement MORE is MORE, icons like Diana Ross and Cher at the legendary Studio 54. Eyeshadow usually one colour on the lid. And What I found in my research usually blue and neutral or lipstick.

Ah the 80’s, era of shoulder pads and neon. This is also when draping blush became a trend, and since I always wanted to try it. As I scuffled through different 80’s makeup ads, the most pop colour combo for eyes was pink and blue. The neutral lips are gone now it’s time to slap on bright pink or red lipstick. And don’t forget the bigger the hair the better.

 


And lastly the 90’s, it had a wave of grunge looks. Here I took my inspiration mostly from red carpet icons such as Gwen Stefani, Drew Barrymore and Christina Aguilera. To my surprise the most of the looks was a dark almost brown lipstick (metallic) and frosty white eyeshadow. And the brows? Oh what brows, this was the time to tweeze brows to a thin line.

 

And that concludes my makeup styles from 50’s to 90’s. Let me know if I should do more of these, maybe 1920 or the 2000’s?  

Comments